Harry Potter is the most famous fandom than any other else as it is full of mysteries, story, and friendship. It was written and published between 1997-2007. The series is distributed by Warner Bros. and consists of eight fantasy films. But there are a number of differences between books and movie. Not to worry if you have only watched the movies. Our today’s content is all about explaining differences from books to movies. Share if you enjoy this article.
Note: This article is to be continued. We will post remaining books differences as soon as possible. To find the other one post’s link is here.
1 Missing Characters
- Cuthbert Binns ( Professor Binns) - History of Magic professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He is the only ghost teacher at Hogwarts who continued to teach even after death.
- Charles Weasley - Second eldest son of Arthur and Molly Weasley. He was studying dragons in Albania.
- Peeves - The Poltergeist, troublemaker especially for caretaker Argus Filch.
- Betha Jorkins - A few years above Marauders. She joined Ministry of Magic ( Department of Games and Sports) after working at The Daily Prophet, murdered by Lord Voldemort with Killing Curse.
- Ludo Bagman - Played Quidditch as a Beater. He was head of Department of Games and Sports.
- Andormeda and Ted Tonks - Nymphadora Tonks Lupin's parents. Andormeda Tonks was a pure blood witch born in Black family but Ted Tonks was a muggle-born and murdered by a group Snatchers.
- Winky - Winky was a freed house elf who didn't want freedom. Barty Crouch Snr sacked Winky when she was found holding a wand in suspicious circumstances. She was employed at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when released from the Crouch family.
2 First detention
According to the movie, in their first detention for being caught out of bed Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, Ronald Weasley and Draco Malfoy were assigned to help the gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid find and rescue a badly-injured unicorn in the Forbidden Forest. But according to the book, the other three (Potter, Granger, and Malfoy) were joined by Neville Longbottom as Ronald Weasley was in Hospital Wing.
3 Diagon Alley
In the book, Harry first met Draco Malfoy in Diagon Alley while shopping and later learned who he was on the Hogwarts Express, where Harry chose not to befriend him after Draco insulted Ron Weasley. In the film, both these events occur at Hogwarts before the Sorting.
4 Fluffy on 3rd floor
According to movie Harry, Hermione and Ron reached on the third floor because of the wrong rotation of staircase. But in the novel, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, along with Neville Longbottom, first encountered Fluffy when Draco Malfoy challenged Harry to a midnight duel, which he accepted. When Hermione tried to stop Harry and Ron from sneaking out later that night, she found herself locked out of the Gryffindor Tower, as the Fat Lady had left sometime earlier, and ended up going along with them. Neville Longbottom, who had forgotten the password to the common room and was sleeping on the floor outside, joined them as well. When they arrived at the Trophy Room, the intended site of the duel, Malfoy was nowhere to be found. To avoid being caught by Argus Filch, they ran away and ended up in the forbidden area on the third floor, staring at a massive three-headed dog.
5 Snape's potion riddle
When Hermione, Ron, and Harry entered the third-floor corridor in a bid to stop Quirrell from stealing the Philosopher’s Stone, she immediately saved Ron and Harry from death-by-Devil’s Snare with a well-timed spell.
But she really proved her brainpower when she and Harry were faced with Snape’s logic puzzle. Presented with seven bottles containing a variety of liquids including poison, Hermione’s reaction surprised Harry: she smiled and said, ‘A lot of the greatest wizards haven’t got an ounce of logic, they’d be stuck in here forever.’
Meanwhile, it took Hermione mere minutes to identify which two would help them. This is one of the first times we witnessed Hermione’s ability to think logically and quickly under extreme pressure. Suffice to say, we would definitely have picked the wrong potion and died.
Second-year Gryffindors have Herbology only with the Hufflepuffs in the book, but also with the Slytherins in the film.
7 The Deathday Party
Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday Party does not appear in the movie, other than in concept art. Because of this, Harry encounters the petrified Mrs. Norris on his way back from spending hours of detention with Gilderoy Lockhart instead. Harry also meets Ron and Hermione just before finding Mrs. Norris in the film, while in the book they were with Harry the entire time.
8 Filch's Secret
The caretaker of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Mr. Argus Filch was a squib (a non-magical person from wizard family). Harry came to know this secret in his second year at Hogwarts.
It was mentioned in the book but not in the movie that Hagrid found Aragog a wife named Mosag.
10 "The crowing of the rooster is fatal to the Basilisk"
Hagrid was mentioned to be complaining about his roosters to be killed. Hagrid explains his thought about a Blood-Sucking Bugbear, and that he is going to ask Dumbledore for permission to cast a protecting charm. But later on, it was revealed that Hagrid's roosters were being killed by Ginny as Tom Riddle wanted her to kill the roosters because "the crowing of the rooster is fatal to the Basilisk".